Aug 9, 2010

The Church.

I get bothered a lot by things said in church. I don't know if I'm the only one or not that is like this. Well, I know I'm not because my husband feels the same way most of the time. In church over the weekend, the speaker spoke about volunteering. She had some great points about how you need to live your life for others and not for yourself; how you need to not live in a "me world" but a "others first" world. I totally agree with that and even though it's hard for me to live a life that is all about others without putting myself first at all times, I very much agree that a life lived for others is a much more meaningful life.
What I don't agree with is how she put it this weekend.... I don't believe that everyone should be volunteering at their church. Yes, I understand that you shouldn't always be a "taker" and just sit there, soak it all up until it's bone dry and then come back for more the next week, but I don't believe that Jesus has called everyone to serve at the church. I love my church, don't get me wrong, but I do not feel called by God to serve there and spend all my time there - does that make me a terrible person? I don't think so, but that's the way it made me feel this weekend. Should I feel guilty? I really don't think I should, because Jesus has called certain people to certain tasks in and out of the church to do His work; why would He want all of His children in one place where almost everyone loves Him? No, he wants some of us out with people who hate Him because they know nothing about Him. I'm not saying believers shouldn't stick together, because we should, I am just saying that I think Jesus wants us to also be in places and circumstances where the most lost people can see even just a glimpse of the love and hope he offers. I do love my church (Quest Community Church) and a lot of the people there are really genuine, loving people that really truly want to know Jesus better. I just think that sometimes they focus too much on the actual church instead of Jesus himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment